okay i don’t know if my first one of these went through but it more or less went: MIDSUMMER OFHAJFHWEADOFE THE THOUGHTS ARE NUMEROUS, CAN WE THOUGHT TOGETHER?
YES YES WE CAN.
You are so SO right, though, MND is all about no one getting what they want while getting a version of exactly what they want. Hippolyta wants more power, she gets it—but only subsumed into Theseus. Helena wants Demetrius, she gets him—but only sex pollened. Hermia wants Lysander, she gets him—but not with the run-away, start-over narrative she wanted. Oberon wants the changeling boy, he gets him—but only at the expense of some utter villainy. They all have to face the fact that love doesn’t get a capital letter, it doesn’t even get forever. It’s a mix of things, a lot of things they thought they were better than or above and a lot of things they thought they understood (but didn’t).
I think that’s why I will always love Puck—Puck, who doesn’t get what he wanted but, like Hobbes said to Calvin when he asked for tuna fish and Calvin wanted everything: if you ask for something you can get, at least you get it. Puck is scared of the dawn. He wants permanency and preference….but he’s scared of the dawn. He’ll take Oberon’s protection from the dawn and he’ll just keep…..wanting other things.
- lithiumrox likes this
- katherinegryffindor reblogged this from ifeelbetterer and added:
- ifeelbetterer reblogged this from katherinegryffindor and added:
- meatsuit likes this
- longroadstonowhere likes this
- superflyse likes this
- professorspork reblogged this from ofgeography and added:
- vaguely-concerned likes this
- ifeelbetterer likes this
- cinque-spotted reblogged this from ofgeography and added:
- cinque-spotted likes this
- ofgeography reblogged this from ifeelbetterer and added:
- emmerish likes this
- polytropic-liar likes this
- ifeelbetterer posted this